Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Darling Buds of May

What a lovely time of year is May!  I love the warmer days, when the nights are still quite cool.  I love the laundry flapping in the breeze, absolutely bone-dry and sweet smelling when you bring it in!


 
I love all the blossoms and trees just starting to stir.  We have quite a few different apples trees in our garden and the flowers are all blooming now, all different colours and fragrances.



Our 17th wedding anniversay came and went also.  It's a cliche, but I truly feel it was just a couple of years ago! We married in a registry office, with just my in-laws, as my own parents were gone quite a few years at that point.  I wore a knee length white dress with irises and freesias in my hair.  I think I'd wear something much more glam and sparkly if I were doing it now!  We've both grown a lot, through good times and some frankly devastating times.  And I do believe we're more in love now than we were then, if that's possible.  A little detail from my now, quite shabby, wedding dress:


I made some coconut cupcakes for afternoon tea on the day (thank you Ina Garten for the recipe!) washed down with a little champagne in the sunshine:

 

 
They (those in the fairy-know) say if you bath your face with early morning dew on May Day, you'll have a beautiful complexion all the coming year!  I haven't missed an early May Day morning in quite a few years and while I was out in my pajamas scooping up the misty drops, I took a picture of this solitary bluebell - the epitome of May.  And a flower much beloved of the Fairy Folk...


I hope you're having a magical, wonderful month so far.  I'll leave you with an image of my much loved orange cat Charlie, out and about in the garden, doing his cat thing!  ~Siobhan xox


 

4 comments:

That's Not My Age said...

Hi there - thanks for leaving a comment on my blog - and happy anniversary!

Milla said...

Wow! Congrats on your long marriage. I'm always so so impressed with folks who weather the calms and the storms of this endeavour. It's not always easy, but it sure is fun, having a partner in crime. Happy Spring to you m'dear and many blessings. Thank you for your sweet comments and I hope to get to chat with you more via the weird wild medium of blog,
Milla

Milla said...

Hahah! I have to add that the verify-er for the last comment was the Finnish word for sprout. How appropriate!

Ruthie Redden said...

Siobhan what a wonderful post to the loveliness of May, it must be one of my most favourite times of the year. Congratulations on your anniversary. x